If you are looking to venture off of the beaten path and discover local favorites during your visit to Detroit, it’s best to do a bit of research to find the very best of what each neighborhood has to offer. Rather than simply sticking to the tried and true tourist destinations, take an unexpected turn and you may discover your new favorite café or bookstore. Whether you are looking for five star restaurants or the new up-and-coming hipster hangout, Detroit’s varied neighborhoods have so much to see and do, you may want to extend your trip by a day or two.
Image via (Punch Bowl Social, above): Crain's Detroit
When in the Entertainment District…
1. Angelina Italian Bistro - One quick google search will tell you that Angelina Italian Bistro is one of the best Italian restaurant's in the city. Book a table and see what all the fuss is about yourself.
2. Punch Bowl Social - This complex will keep you entertained all day long. From the bowling alley to the Karaoke setup, the killer food and beverage program is the icing on top.
3. Comerica Park - There's nothing more American than a day spent at the ballpark! Cheer on the Detroit Tigers at Comerica Park.
4. Ford Field - Football season is extra fun at Ford Field, home to the Detroit Lions as well as host to an onslaught of A-list entertainers.
The District Detroit
When in The District Detroit…
1. Little Caesars Arena - The arena isn't open quite yet, but you can still make your plans to visit the brand new arena for a full lineup of hockey games, concerts and more.
2. Detroit Opera House - Treat yourself to a fancy night at the theater while in Detroit. There's something for all kinds of art-enthusiasts, from choirs to ballet recitals and more.
3. QLine – Take a ride on the new modern street car. Getting around the city has never been easier.
When in Eastern Market…
1. Saturday Market - The Saturday Market is the place to be, seeing as many as 45,000 visitors! Shop from local artists, floral shops, and local farmers.
2. Supino Pizzeria - A stop at the Eastern Market's Supino Pizzeria is a must for lovers of New York style pizza.
3. Wasserman Projects - Step outside the typical tourist favorites and visit the Wasserman Projects, a modern art experience with a constantly evolving art collection.
When in Greektown…
1. Greektown Casino - Roll the dice at Greektown Casino, for a fun-filled night in this culturally rich neighborhood.
2. Santorini Estiatorio - Experience delicious Greek cuisine at Santorini Estiatorio, one of the newest restuarants in the neighborhood.
3. Old St. Mary’s Church - The architecture of Old St. Mary's Church is breathtaking for all visitors.
4. St. Andrews Hall - This beloved music venue opened in 1907 and has been going strong ever since. Spend an evening listening to local bands, indie performers, DJ's, and more.
When in Rivertown…
1. Hart Plaza - This lovely 14-acre riverfront plaza has been home to concerts, festivals and more since 1975.
2. Milliken State Park Lighthouse - This photogenic spot in the city is perfect for an afternoon picnic or stroll along the riverfront.
3. Gabriel Richard Park - Featuring lovely landscaping, butterfly gardens and more, making it a serene place to relax in the city.
4. Wheelhouse Detroit - Cover more ground with a bike rental from Wheelhouse. Explore on your own, or sign up for a tour offered by Wheelhouse.
When in Midtown…
1. Detroit Institute of Arts - The Detroit Institute of Arts has one of the largest collections in the entire country. Make sure to carve out enough time to visit this top-tier museum.
2. Avalon Bakery - Over 1,000 customers visit Avalon Bakery every day to get a taste of their delicious baked goods.
3. The Whitney - Once home to the wealthiest man in Detroit, The Whitney Mansion is now home to a restaurant and event space.
4. Shinola - Shop from the iconic Detroit watchmaker, Shinola.
When in Corktown…
1. Two James Spirits - Spend an afternoon enhancing your palate at this local distillery. They make a little something of everything, so pick your poison--they've got it!
2. Batch Brewing Co. - This trendy brewery is the place to be for beer enthusiasts.
3. Astro Coffee - Fuel up for a busy day or relax after a long afternoon at Astro Coffee for chill cafe vibes and a tasty cup of coffee, latte art optional.
4. Hello Records - Shop a wide selection of records at this neighborhood favorite.